Monday, September 13, 2010

Sore Muscles...?

My husband and I have started a fitness/weight loss 'thing' and we have been exercising HARD for the past 2 weeks.  Sweating it out, walking up the mount, jogging around it and pumping weights.  Today - i am sore.  Sore even in places that I haven't actually exercised - my legs hurt, my feet hurt, my back is aching - its all on!  Then we go to weigh ourselves this morning, and we have both put on 300gm!!!  What's that about??? And then our senior beauty therapist let me in on a little secret....
You get better results in weight loss and building muscle if you 'go hard' every second day - not every day.  Muscles get sore because of the tearing and rebuilding they go thru to get stronger and the increase in weight is due to the build up of lactic acid in the muscles.  This releases itself over several days and then eventually, the weight loss will show on the scales. Remembering that muscle weighs more than fat.
So maybe next week we will be slim and fabulous and hopefully not sore?  Will we be fabulous before summer really sets in?  Maybe, hopefully - but i know that having a spray tan this evening will make me feel AT least 5 kilos lighter!!  (Did i mention that Refresh does the best Spray tans ever?!).  



1 comment:

  1. Having just started a weight loss, healthier me campaign I am very excited to not only read this post but discover your blog.
    I look forward to reading you insights and wisdom as time goes by.
    Felicity

    ReplyDelete